Friday, September 24, 2010

Before I Forget....(movie review)


I just decided that that were several movies that I had been watching, however none of them were any great gay or lesbian films. Since for the past few months I have been analyzing my life, my past, my future and my present, I noticed I really have not lived a very gay friendly existence. I mean aside from the many failed relationships I've had which all have been horrible examples of what a healthy relationship should be especially what a loving normal lesbian relationship should be. I mean it has really got me thinking that there isn't ever going to be a future for me that I'll find any healthy relationship. So in order to see happy times, healthy normal gay people I thought if I can't see them or meet them in real life, maybe there is hope if I look into films and documentaries. So one of my first films which hasn't been my first gay film aside from Better than Chocolate, Boys Don't cry, But I'm a cheerleader, As good as it gets, Another Gay movie and the adventures of two girls in love.

I recently watched Before I forget, which is a French film that has English subtitles. This is a film about a gay male in his sixties that is living with HIV and is a former gigolo. This movie had several of the French oddities in it, scenes which were long and drawn the hell out. Where the room was scanned slowly several times to reveal all the little contents to the viewer, it really would be a sleeper had I been particularly tired or sleepy at the time of viewing. It was a sad film with all the creepy undertones of a secret society of a bunch of men fucking each other all recklessly and once the main character reached his sixties he was left feeling empty and alone. It had a few sex scenes all shot in the shadows, just about every male shown was a gigolo, a former one or a user of their services.

The one thing about this film that I can say stood out is that I never want my life to end up as sad and lonely as his. However the way the men were throwing away all males above the age of forty to get with the younger ones was truly sad....as I reach ever so slowly towards my 40th birthday single and alone. I just hope to create a life worthy of an obituary. This film was slow sad and boring, and worth watch if you just want to watch a French film however I wouldn't recommend it to any one, unless their seeking to go to sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment