Monday, February 8, 2010

A Blog for Becky Boucher


Yeah, we grow up, we forgive, we move on, but damn we lost out on an amazing time in our lives. As I sit here I think about a little girl that went to school with my daughter, my daughter and I had been praying for this girl that attended school with her. Her name was Becky Boucher, she was in the fifth grade only ten years old, suffering from bone cancer. Despite two and a half years of treatment and millions of prayers Becky died this past weekend on Saturday the 6th. Today I cried for Becky, I cried for a life lost, a family broken, a mother mourning her baby girl. Becky had a short childhood filled with friends, fun and love yet she was battling a big disease. She was a brave child and thinking of her made me hold my own daughter tighter today, made me kiss her face, made me sit an stare at her. Life is so fragile, people are so forgetful about that fragility of life. Reading of Becky's struggle made me spread the word to people, not only to pray for Becky but to love someone the right way. Cherish them, tell them their loved, hold them, talk to them in a kinder way, and be thankful for the time you have with them. I thank Becky and her family for sharing their lives, their struggle, and their story with others to help us to appreciate everyone around us, and to get to know about those dealing with issues of death daily.
Something most be done to defeat this horrible thing called "Cancer", it's ruining families, taking friends, mommies, daddies, sons, daughters, this is something that no one can hide from or even prevent. When it's name is mentioned we all shutter to think, about the damage it has and can do. I started typing this blog with so much on my mind but these are the thoughts that have taken over for the evening. For tonight I will once again prey for Becky, not only her but for a cure or the release of a cure that may have already been found. Also tonight I will call someone I love yet haven't told lately, hug my child, and thank my God for this day and all that I've been given.
Rest now sweet Becky, your battle is not lost, but you've won your wings while flying above remember these things, people you don't even know are thinking of you, this place you've left could not contain your spark, now with the Lord your free to shine bright without limitations of that former shell. I have chosen to end this right here not for lack of words but lack of sight my eyes are filling with liquid prayers. . . . . . . .

3 comments:

  1. Your words are wisdom that we should breathe in every day. Seeing Becky's family at the funeral home tonight, with all the grieving friends, was truly a shattering experience. It was good to be there, because it shattered me out of my complacency - to be thankful for my healthy kids and to look for where I can help others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know becky very well, but my cousin emily goes to the same school as her. I think its awesome how all the kids knew her favorite color was green and the picked 2-9-10 to wear as much green as they could for school. I feel bad for her family and all who loved her, but know now she can be in a better place, shes not in pain. She will always be with us.

    -Joey Edinger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today, Becky would have been 11 years old. I've thought a lot about her during the past week. How do you "celebrate" the birthday of a child that has died? I don't know but I felt like I wanted to world to pause and remember - almost screaming at them not to forget her.

    I decided to wear my blue Boston Red Sox polo shirt to church, with its blazing red "B". It has now turned into my "Becky Boucher" shirt. I was happy to tell her story of courage and the amazing family she has, when a few people poked fun at my shirt. It was both bitter and sweet. And I stopped by her house to drop off a couple small items, just to remind her family that others still remember her - and them. I think that Becky would hope friends would reach out to help her family, whatever way they could.

    Many people do not know what to do or say to families like these, yet they know them or know of them. So they do nothing, paralyzed by fear. Allow me to encourage you to send them a card, letter, phone call - and share a story of their child with them, one that you are fond of. It is a wonderful gift.

    Happy Birthday Becky - we miss you.

    ReplyDelete